9.18.2008

Donut Recipe (that I would never intentionally keep from anyone)

Vegetable Oil (enough for 2-3 inches in whatever pan you're using.)

3 1/3 c. flour
1 c. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 T shortening
2 eggs
3/4 c. milk

Heat 2-3 inches oil to 375 F
Mix 1 1/2 c. flour (out of the 3 1/3 c.) and everything else on low speed for 30 seconds, med. speed for 2 min. (I use my wooden spoon to mix.) Stir in rest of flour, roll to 3/8" (on a well-floured board, but shake extra flour off before putting them in oil). Cut, slide into oil. Turn when they rise to the surface. Fry 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Of COURSE you can sprinkle with powdered sugar or roll them in cinnamon/sugar, but they are quite yummy alone and especially right out of the oil and warm. Mmmmmm....

Once they're cooled, 10 seconds in the microwave restores their former glory.

Please make them today and eat the whole batch, so that I'm not the only one with a muffin top. :)

6 comments:

Susan said...

Thank-you!! I'm so happy!! :-D Just what I need. I hope to make these really soon!

Thanks again! Susan www.schmidtcafe.blogspot.com

Megan said...

I'm totally going to make these this weekend while my roommates are away!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to bring you some Cinnamon Maple Sprinkle our company produces...good stuff!!!

Great on pancakes, waffles, & scrambled eggs

Katherine said...

mmm, donuts... Ugh, muffin tops...(the inedible kind!) I'm afraid to make them. They'll be in my house, just waiting for me. But I wants them!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing!!! This will make a wonderful Saturday morning breakfast. Ha ha ha, and we don't even have to share them yet! =)

Bethany Taylor said...

Well, we made them tonight and I've eaten one and six donut holes! YUM!!! Guess I should slow down and try to spread them out over a few days! =)