8.22.2008

Caught! Eventually...

It must have been yesterday when Habtamu pulled out "little men" to play with his Lego stuff. I didn't think much of it until today. And I questioned him about where he got them, since we only have one little Lego guy that came with the Lego helicopter. When pressed, he said he "saw it in Daddy's car." Um, ok. So then I changed my questioning to "Is it from kid A's house or kid B's house?" He would not make eye contact with me and was looking extremely guilty, so I kept asking until he told me. He said "Kid B's house, ok?" Um, not ok. I remained calm throughout, and inside I was sighing, because it's a thing we all have to learn. He seemed quite ashamed as I was explaining that that is called STEALING and that he'll have to give them back and apologize. I think by the way he didn't want to make eye contact with me that he understood. I made him make eye contact, and told him I loved him, and these are the consequences...

I had him go get the little men and I wondered why I didn't question it sooner... because we certainly don't have any Lego's that would have had included Star Wars battle droids.

I had him sit in time out for awhile, but the bigger "punishment" will be owning up to the other family that he took their toys. That's the tough one, I think. Hopefully the lesson will be well learned, but if he's anything like other humans, he'll have to learn it again and again. Doh!

We're trying to teach that he should tell us the truth, obviously, because we've heard some other tall tales that we couldn't prove or dis-prove. And a couple that we did have proof, and even when presented with the proof, he stuck to his "story". So, I'm glad that he told me the truth... I figured that yelling would only make him not want to tell me. I wouldn't want to tell a yelling person the truth.

The rest of our day was pretty good. We made some cards to send to friends in Ethiopia, and I ordered new pics to send along.

The kids let me take nice pics of them in the yard today.

4 comments:

Melissa Juvinall said...

Ahh, stealing. We haven't gotten to that one yet. Sounds like you handled it well! I LOVE the pictures!
Melissa Juvinall

Anonymous said...

just wait until you have to take them to the babysitters the following day to apologize for being a snot the night before at bedtime...sigh

Jori said...

Hmmm ... I think we have all been there. We love them no matter what and yet must teach them to. Why can't we all just it the first time around?! :):)
love, jori

Anonymous said...

So that's where my Lego Star Wars Battle Droids went!!!

It was totally screwing up my Lego recreation of the battle on Geonosis...